Thursday, April 3, 2008

Food Wars: Battle La Focaccia

Which 'hood has better for food? In an ongoing feud between my friend (let's call him NotAnAnthony), I say Hell's Kitchen has better restaurant options (judging by taste, value, and variety) than the West Village. NotAnAnthony disagrees. Last night, in another attempt to resolve this war, we faced off on his turf: the West Village.

Place: La Focaccia.
Food: Italian/Dinner
Atmosphere: Romantic and quaint
Bill: About $50 per person (including tax, tip, and booze)

Review: Though there was quite a mix-up with my order (the waiter thought I ordered only an appetizer salad and no main course), it was quickly resolved, and I had my food within three minutes of alerting the waiter to the problem. After that, the manager kept coming up to the table and making sure everything was okay, so the restaurant redeemed itself in terms of service. As for quality of food, I was quite pleased with my main course of rigatoni with eggplant and mozzarella in a tomato sauce, though I can't say that it was anything spectacular. (I was very pleased with gnocchi I stole from someone else's plate.) However, I was disappointed with my salad. It was drenched in dressing and had no crunch to it. I've certainly had better. Overall, the atmosphere really snagged a win for this restaurant. Though the room was small and noisy, it felt very comfortable and quaint, and the windows overlooking the cute Village streets really helped.

One win for West Village.

No comments: