Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Twitter Me This

I became a member of twitter some months ago to keep up with all things new. But I really didn't get it and didn't like it. It seemed that anything I could do on twitter I could just as easily do on Facebook...and so I signed on only a handful of times since then. That is, until I found out the difference between Facebook and twitter: unlike on Facebook, you can stalk -- scratch that -- "follow" celebrities' instant updates on Twitter without having to "friend" them or read about their fan pages. Hence, for the past 24 hours I have been obsessively following Britney Spears (britneyspears), John Mayer (johncmayer), Tina Fey (TinaFey), and Perez Hilton (perezhilton), who never seems to shut up on this thing -- but in a much more controlled way than on his website. I know that without twitter I could just as easily find out about all of these celebrities' latest happening by visiting their websites, but for some mysterious reason (probably the same reason that people scour Facebook for their frienemies' updates), it feels really cool to get up-to-the-minute updates about what all these famous strangers are thinking, doing, and eating (i.e., Tina Fey: Am I eating a Caramello bar for lunch? Yes. Yes I am. ) by going to one simple website, without having to admit that I'm their "friend" or a fan of their Facebook page or message board. Is it just me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Never thought of using twitter in that way. A whole new model of time-sucking.Pretty cool though.